Date(s) - 01/26/2019
9:00 am - 12:00 pm
The start of every great movie is the script…
Every movie is going to involve multiple agreements with writers, so everyone needs to understand this process and have a working knowledge of the various contracts that are used for story development. This class will cover the most common situations encountered by independent filmmakers. What contracts are necessary for optioning an existing screenplay or novel? What contracts and deal points are needed when hiring a writer for a polish, rewrite, adaptation, or complete original script? Learn all of this and more, and leave with sample contracts.
By the end of this class you will:
- Understand a standard option & purchase agreement with standards for fees, option periods, and purchase prices;
- Understand the basics of a contract to hire a writer; and
- Avoid the mistakes that will sabotage your movie project in the future with distributors and studios.
Who should attend: Writers, Producers, Directors, Filmmakers.
Requirements: Bring something to take notes.
Instructor: Shun Lee is an actor, writer, attorney, and the CEO & Creative Principal of Genuine Productions, LLC. He graduated summa cum laude from Creighton University with a degree in journalism & mass communications. After obtaining a Juris Doctorate at the University of Iowa, he practiced law for five years in the Midwest, focusing on civil litigation, corporate transactions, intellectual property, and media law. He also taught Mass Media Law for three years at Creighton University, and he currently is a professor of entertainment & media law and business at John Paul the Great Catholic University in San Diego, Regent University in Virginia Beach, and Lipscomb University in Nashville. A member of SAG-AFTRA, he has appeared in a number of film, stage, commercial, and print productions. He has written a number of works, and his books, The Saints & The Poets and The Saints & The Poets Travel Companion were published in 2016.
Space is limited, and you must register ahead of time, so sign up today!
Are there ID requirements to enter the event?
The good folks at the Netflix Security Gate will need to see a government-issued photo ID to match with your name on the list we give them, so make sure you register and bring your driver’s license or passport with you.
What are my parking options getting to the event?
Parking is free if you are on the attendee list – here are the guest parking guidelines:
- Guest parking is located at 1455 N. Van Ness Ave, Los Angeles, CA 90028.
- Please enter the Main Entry via the left side security gate.
- A current photo ID is required.
- Security personnel will direct you to complimentary self-parking.
- The Netflix lobby is located directly across from the parking garage.
- A check-in table will be in front of the topiary wall in the lobby.